Pages

Monday 1 December 2014

Day 1: I'm here!

Today is the day!

I have finally arrived at the training centre in Oakville. It's all so exciting and I am very grateful to have this opportunity.

I was expecting a pick-up from the Lions foundation between 3:30-4:00 this afternoon. They were picking someone up at the airport before they came to get me. Unfortunately, the other person's flight was delayed so I did not get picked up until just after 5:00. Since we were late, the rest of our class had already eaten dinner and gone to their rooms. We will just have to wait until tomorrow to meet everyone!

After quickly eating dinner (chicken, pasta, and red peppers - It was surprisingly good!) we had a short tour of the facility. We saw one dog while doing our tour but he was just a pet of one of the staff. We heard some of the other dogs barking but did not get to see any of them.

I'm currently sitting at the computer in my room (I'm glad they provide a computer because I cannot get Wi-Fi on my laptop in my room for some reason and there is no Ethernet input on my laptop/tablet) and watching The Voice on TV. I see how it could get boring at night but hopefully once classes start up tomorrow, we will hang out together and find something to do after dinner.

I still have some unpacking/organizing to do and I'm really tired so this post is going to be short (nothing too exciting has happened yet anyways). I'm excited to see what tomorrow brings! All I know is that I have to be up at 7AM to have breakfast at 8...

I'll post again tomorrow, and every day while I'm here.

Goodnight everyone!

P.S. Here are a few pictures of my room. There are two beds, in case you need to bring a support person. I'm using the second bed as a clothing table (there is no dresser, only a rod to hang clothes on). There's a desk with a desktop computer and phone. I brought a few snacks with me which also sit on my desk. I put my laptop and speakers on the desk as well. I brought my manual wheelchair, power chair, and walker with me. I anticipate that I'll use my power chair most of the time outside my room but in my room I can walk independently. I completely forgot to mention that I would need a shower seat but was pleasantly surprised to see one in the shower when I arrived!

Desk and my bed
Other bed

Once I get my dog I will have to re-arrange my mobility aids but for now, I put them in front of the crate/chair.



Bathroom

Huge and very safe shower :)

No comments:

Post a Comment