Pages

Thursday 4 December 2014

Day 4: He finally got "busy busy"!

This morning started off wonderfully for Troy. He had a bit of trouble going in the crate last night. Even after throwing in a treat he was insistent on staying out. Finally after some determined "kennel" commands, he went inside. Once inside he was VERY well behaved. He did not bark or whine at all! I was so proud.

This morning I quickly brushed my teeth and went to the washroom before turning on the lights. As soon as I turned the light on, Troy got very excited and couldn't wait for me to open the crate. We went to the relief area and he finally pooped! I was so proud because he had not gone since I had gotten him yesterday afternoon. However, after being with him all day, I think he might be a once a day kind of guy. He hasn't gone yet tonight either. He pees a lot which is great so I'm not concerned.

After we both had breakfast, it was time to start class. The trainers and I both decided that he might do a bit better on a shorter leash. My powerchair has very odd armrests and the leash doesn't really have anywhere to catch so it tends to slip off. We are still finding a solution for this however I think we have found a solution to make Troy stay more to my right side. We found a shorter leash that clips in two places to create two different lengths. While he is sitting/laying down for an extended period of time, I make the leash a bit longer so that he doesn't choke himself and can lay comfortably. While walking around, I just quickly unclip and clip the leash at a much shorter length. This has seemed to help him stay more to the right and less in front of me since he can't get too far ahead. He still has lots of room to go behind me through doorways which is great.

In the morning we did a lot of distraction work. At first he did great but then the trainers dropped human food on the ground mixed in with some dog toys and treats. Walking by the first time was alright but then the second time we walked by he quickly snatched up the piece of bread with peanut butter on it. One of the trainers stopped him and helped me discipline him for eating the food on the ground. I could tell for the rest of the morning that he was slightly on edge after being disciplined. He had trouble sitting still in class and paid less attention than he typically would. Although he has to be disciplined for doing what he did, we all understand how hard it is for him. We are all so surprised at how far he has come in just over 24 hours. He is extremely well behaved and obedient. Mistakes are going to be made and I'm sure that it won't be his last. Everything right now has just been turned upside down and he has no idea who I am and feels like he doesn't have to listen to me. That will change quickly I'm sure. We just need to bond a little more first!

Today we also practiced the "up" command. This is when the dog jumps up on your lap with his front paws. This command is useful for many things as a wheelchair user. Most of the time I walk independently in my home but there are times where I may be in my wheelchair inside the house. In these times I would use "up" to make putting on his collar, halti, and leash easier. It is also a great way to cuddle with the dog quickly. It can also be used while grooming the dog to get him to stand on a short grooming table or on your legs. There are many uses for the "up" command and it is a fun one to practice because you get to cuddle and pet your dog a lot. Troy struggled with "up" at first. Maybe it was because he was still a little on edge from being disciplined, or maybe it was because he's so gentle and doesn't want to hurt me. However, after a few tries he was able to stay in the "up" position for about 5-10 seconds with some petting and treats. We also practiced 3 more times tonight while I sat on the bed and brushed him. I tried to brush him while he had two paws on my legs but he didn't seem to like it very much. Then I stood up and tried to brush him while he was standing on the floor and this was a little better, however he still doesn't seem to like it. Hopefully in time this will become easier for him (as we grow a better bond with each other). I was able to get the job done with a few treats and praise so I'm sure in a few weeks or months. grooming will be a much easier task.

Today he was also allowed to be off leash and halti in my room for approximately 15 minutes. This is to prepare him for sleeping out of his crate in the upcoming days. He did really well! He followed me into the bathroom and back to the desk. He sat somewhat patiently (only got up and sniffed around a few times) while I browsed the internet.

Now he is in his crate because he kept looking over to it and tugging on the leash a little. I thought maybe he wanted to go inside for some quiet time and I was right! I told him to sit and wait while I opened the door and as soon as I said "kennel" he went in right away.

In a few more hours I am going to relieve him once more before we both go to bed. Hopefully he behaves as well in his crate as he did last night!



My boy is definitely a drooler. So gross, yet absolutely adorable. <3


The trainers were bouncing tennis balls to work on distraction and he slept right through it! I've noticed that he sleeps a lot already!

1 comment:

  1. I have so enjoyed reading your blog. As a foster "mother" of Dog Guide pups, I find it really helpful to hear about the process that occurs after we return the pups for training. Thank you for sharing your life with Troy. He's a sweetie. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete