Pages

Tuesday 23 December 2014

Our first weekend at home

We have now been home for 4 days. We came home from training Friday morning on the Go Train & Transhelp bus. I was a little worried about how Troy would react to the train as he is sensitive to sound and it can be loud when it pulls into the station. He did so great. I gave him some treats and cuddles to distract him from the noise and he didn't get scared at all!

Once we were home he sniffed around the whole apartment and gave my mom a few kisses. After settling in he had breakfast and then I took him outside. On our way back to the apartment, he pooed in the elevator and in the hallway. I didn't get too upset with him because I knew accidents would probably happen. I just told him "No!" and cleaned it up.

Later on Friday we took a trip to the pet store to pick up some more food and toys. Once I got to the cash register I told the cashier that I was told 3 weeks ago that this store would offer a 30% discount to my service dog. He informed me that that program is no longer in place and currently there is no discount being offered but he would honour it this time since I was under the impression I was getting 30% off. I am very grateful that he honoured the discount but can't help but be disappointed that they no longer offer it. I guess I'll be shopping elsewhere from now on.

On Saturday we had some visitors come over to hang out and meet Troy. My boyfriend came by for the afternoon and we went to Square One to give Troy some exercise. He seemed to really enjoy getting out of the apartment. By the time we got home from our last minute Christmas shopping, Troy was panting and SO tired. After dinner my mom's friend came over to meet Troy. He was so tired from shopping that he just layed by my feet the whole night.

On Sunday my little cousin came over with my aunt and her boyfriend. I was really nervous that Hailey (my cousin) wouldn't understand that she can't pet Troy. She's only 3 and used to love to play with my cat before we had to put him down last year. She pet him once and then didn't really bother with him at all after that. She kept asking me: "Kelsey, why do you have a dog?". I must have answered that question 20 times on Sunday morning. Right after my family left, my mom had another friend come over to meet Troy. Like usual, Troy just took a nap by my feet the whole time they were here.

For the most part Troy had a relaxing weekend to get settled in his new home. We practiced pushing door buttons, fetching items, and nudging the cupboards closed but other than that, he had the weekend off. 

He has had two accidents in the building since we've come home. The second one happened yesterday in the lobby just after trying to get him to go outside for 20 minutes. Hopefully he will get used to going outside soon.

This weekend Troy has developed a bald spot under his chin that I think was caused by stress and scratching as well as a white spot (sort of looks like a pimple) in a different laoction on his chin. We are going to the vet (he's wonderful and offered a discount without even asking) on Saturday to create a file and check his weight so I will ask what I should do about it if it hasn't improved.

Within the next few days I'm going to post about our December Barkbox! Stay tuned to see what we got this month and for a mini-review on each of the products.

Have you liked our facebook page yet? Be sure to follow us on there for more pictures and quick updates: www.facebook.com/ssdandthecity


Here are a few pictures of Troy from this weekend:

He loves his new blanket- only $3 at Target!

Here's a sneak peek of what we got in our Bark Box. He looks so cute! I may need to invest in some more bandanas/scarves for him...

Waiting for the Train on Friday

Troy LOVES the sun. We even had to close the door to the sun room or else I'd find him tanning in there. I can't stand to be in that room for more than 30 seconds when it's sunny outside. It's WAY too hot for a dog to be in!

In the food court at Square One on Saturday. Such a good puppy.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that Troy is settling in nicely and that you are so patient with him. When Indigo (in the breeding program) came back to us after being in the kennels for a few weeks he had several poo accidents in the house but it quickly stopped when we settled into a routine and his diet settled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to hear that you're settling in together and that you're handling the bumps along the way. Troy is beautiful and the two of you will be great together!

    ReplyDelete