Pages

Tuesday 18 November 2014

The last 10 months of my life

I applied for my service dog in January of 2014. I had my home visit/interview in February and was accepted in March/April (I can't quite remember when it was).
Being accepted into the SSD (Special Skills Dog) program was a dream come true for me. The letter in the mail telling me that I had been put on the waiting list opened my eyes to so many new possibilities.

Since that day last spring, I have been patiently waiting for the phone call. I didn't expect for the Lion's Foundation to find a match for me until the Spring of 2015. However, one week ago I got the phone call that will forever change my life... THERE IS A DOG WAITING FOR ME - Best Christmas present ever!
I get to find out all about him or her in just two more weeks. Right now I don't know anything about my dog. I leave for training on Dec. 1st and return home, with my service dog, on December 19th.

There is so much to do to prepare for training. I had to notify my professors and re-schedule my final exams to one week prior (they were supposed to be the week of Dec. 1st but I won't be here!). Now I need to pack my life into two tiny suitcases for my 3 week stay at the facility, finish all of my christmas shopping before I leave, find a vet that will provide discounts to service animals as well as a pet store that provides discounts, "dog-proof" my home, and much more.

I am so excited to share my adventures as a service dog handler with you. I'm sure there will be many interesting, funny, and even some frustrating stories to tell you along the way. Most of all, I can't wait to introduce you to my new best friend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment