Pages

Sunday 24 May 2015

Montreal Day 2: Shriners hospital, waiting around, back to Toronto

I have been home for a few days now but have not posted an update about our second day in Montreal.

We woke up at 5:30 AM on Wednesday and were at the hospital around 7:00. I was the only person receiving treatment that day so everything went fairly quickly, which is great. We had a bit of trouble getting my IV in but that always happens because I have bad veins. After the 4th try, it worked and I started my infusion. My zoledronate treatment went well but we have decided not to schedule another one at this time. We are going to wait and see if the pain comes back and if it does, we will schedule it then. The longer I can manage between treatments the better because my bone density is within the normal range (my bones are still very fragile but the thickness [density] is in the normal range. It's still all OI bone though) and the treatment is now just for bone pain. Long term side effects are unknown so the less I receive in my life, the better off I'll be.

The doctor could not see a femur fracture on the xrays but as always, that doesn't mean there isn't one. It just means that it's not visible. So the pain I've been having since December is still a mystery. If the zoledronate helps then it was probably just my body telling me that I needed more zole. We'll see. Until then, Advil and Tylenol around the clock continues.

The surgery for my knee is being scheduled and it does not sound like it will be as big of a procedure as I thought. He gave me the option of being awake throughout the entire surgery! It is day surgery but if I decide to go to Shriner's for it, I'll have to stay a few nights as travelling afterwards will be difficult. I am considering getting it done in Toronto though as it sounds simple, in which case my doctor at home could probably handle it and not cause too many problems. That's something I'll need to think about in the coming weeks. At least they agreed that the screw can come out now which will hopefully cause less pain in the future.

We were finished at the hospital around 1:00 but our train didn't leave Montreal until 5:00. We tried to get on an earlier train but it would have only got us home an hour earlier and cost 250 dollars for my mom and I. So, we waited for 4 hours at the station.

Troy really had to pee when we got to union because our train was delayed almost 30 minutes - and it was an express that didn't stop at all between dorval (Quebec) and Oshawa. 

We finally got home at midnight and have been taking it easy since. We tried to come to the flag raising ceremony on Friday at city hall in Toronto but the go trains were all cancelled/delayed so we wouldn't have been  able to make it there on time. I hope everyone had a great day and we will see you at the Toronto West (High Park) Walk for Dog Guides on the 29th!

No comments:

Post a Comment